[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-digest V1 #716

<<Hello all!!
  Got a question for anyone who knows...I have been hearing over the past week
or so that some asteroids were spotted heading towards earth...and will me
here within a few decades. Anyone else heard naything  similar? Please
respond, i can';t find any info on the web about this new threat..
  thanks all!!
   Julie

Hi Julie,

It sounds to me like you've heard the XF-11 story.  I haven't heard anything
lately except this.  Astronomers found an asteroid they named 1997 XF11, that
was heading on a near Earth course( within the orbit of the moon.)  It had a
chance of colliding with Earth, due to the Earth's gravity.  They said it
would pass Earth on Oct. 26, 2028.  The next day new information ( an 8 year
old image of a dot verified to be 1997 XF11)was found.  They re-calculated
it's path, to find out that it would pass about 600,000 miles from Earth, and
that it has no chance of hitting us.

Hope this is what you were talking about!

Clear Skies,

Matt