[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Fwd: (meteorobs) LM Star Count vs Milky Way Perception

Lew>>George Zay (originator of this thread), is among those who consistently
log
hundreds of hours per year, in George's case for maybe 6 years now. However,
it
IS true both Marco Langbroek and Bob Lunsford are meteor observers who have
been observing for many more YEARS than George.<<

Make that 8 years now. Are you saying that an individual who observes hundreds
of hours/year is less of an experienced observer than someone who observes
several hours/year for 30 years? Bob has been observing quite a long time with
a good number of hours/year, but I wouldn't say he is any more of an
experienced observer than I? At what point does one become an "experienced"
observer? After how many hours or years? That's almost like saying that since
I'm older than you, I must be wiser? Marco is about in his late twenties I
think? I doubt he has that many more years than I in observing? Prior to
meteor work, I was pretty much involved with other astronomy endeavors at my
observatory. I don't consider my experience as someone who has just fallen off
the turnip truck and don't have a clue. I doubt if I observed for another 20
years I would acquire little  more experience than I have?
George Zay