[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Observations Sep 10/11 ZAYGE

Well....
Yesterday evening I had to drive up to the site of my observatory and help
repair a fence and move some sheep around for my father in law who lives
there. I literally had to wrestle Rambo Jr every foot of the way to put him
into the other field so that his pop wouldn't ram him to death. I could go on
about how happy Rambo is to be in with the ewes now...but it has nothing to do
with meteor observing.

So....with the work done and having made that long drive out there, I've
decided to stay and observe for the little over two Teff hours before the moon
rose. Under clear, dark skies with LM near 6.0 I plotted 11 meteors. The first
hour only produced 2 meteors. The brightest was a +2 sporadic. Actually they
all were sporadics. Most were +4 in magnitude. The proposed "Triangulid-Ares"
radiant area was very low to the horizon and none of the meteors even remotely
came from that region. If there is a Triangulid meteor shower, I wouldn't
expect too many alignments during this period anyways. If real..dot it is no
doubt very weak. I'm sure that if I had observed a few hours longer, my center
of view would have eventually been in the Great Square region and would have
plotted a few chance "alignments". In the past, I haven't seen anything that
would indicate the obvious presence of a shower radiating from this region.
Too bad the observers to the original meteor shower claim didn't plot the
meteors to make a more careful examination?
GeoZay