[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireballs - is there something going on?

Michael<<
  I've seen quite a few posts lately of -4 to -10 and some daylight
 fireballs. Is something going on or is it just more people are
 observing? Over the years fireballs were, to me very rare then all of
 the sudden - boom - lots of reports.<<

The general yearly activity seems about the same to me? One estimate for
meteorite dropping fireballs in the 4 oz to 20 lb class is about 24,000/year
worldwide. Of the lesser magnitude fireballs there should be a lot more. I was
just making a quick mental comparison of my 74 fireballs (-3 to -15) that I
reported in 1993 to this year's while recording meteor data. I've observed a
little more than 1/3 the hours I've done in that year and I have close to 1/3
the number of fireballs so far. Seems to be pretty much about the same to me.

  Michael>>Could these - sporadic (?) firballs be associated with an unknown
shower?
 Are they possibly connected with the Draconids or Leonids showers?

I highly doubt they are connected with either shower? It's a long ways off
still before their activity will be noticed.
George Zay