[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Where In the World?

At 07:18 PM 10/12/98 -1000, you wrote:
>At 02:17 AM 10/10/98 +0100, various folks wrote:
>>>
>>>It may be an illusion...but it seems that the majority of the interesting
>>>meteor events of the past decade has occurred either over Europe or
>Japan?
[snip]

>Longitude, perhaps?
>
>The continental US extends from about 66 W longitude to 125 W, about 59
>degrees of longitude.  Europe/Asia extend from longitude 180 to 10 W, or
>about 190 degrees.  I'd say the odds are 3 to 1 in their favor!

Ummm...no, I don't think so. The events I was considering have almost all
occurred over Europe from Ireland to the Ukraine, from Sweden and Norway
southward to Greece and European Turkey, an area that I believe is roughly
that of the continental US. Population density, which is much higher in
most of Europe than North America, has something to do with it, however. Oh
well; I think I'd rather live in the wide-open spaces of the New Continent...

Clear skies,

SteveH
Shrewsbury MA

Follow-Ups: References: