[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Coordinated realtime Leonid website?

Hi Robert,

>The same reasoning applies to the night of the 16th.  If there's unusually
>strong activity over the East Coast of the US suggesting the peak may be
>significantly early, I'd sure like to know before nightfall in California.
>
>If anyone learns of a more global effort of the sort I'm wishing for please
>post it to the list.

A coordinated global effort for the Leonids would indeed be very useful!
If at all possible, I'm all for it. Unfortunately for two reasons,
it is not so easy to accomplish?

First, there is the weather. It is quite unlikely that every one or two
time zone will have clear skies for observers?  East coast NA has some
of the worst and unpredictable weather of the year in November. This
means that many east coast observers will be travelling some unknown
distance before they can reach better skies?

The other difficulty is from means of communications. Those who have
access to laptops will have the ability to send quick updates. But
those without computers, observing from remote locations will only
be able to update or alert other observers perhaps hours later.

I'm sure everyone going out for Leonids will do their best to report
their observations as soon as they can. Personnaly, I was VERY impressed
by the quick reports and data posted here on meteorobs while the
Draconids were still well productive! Before I went out to observe on
October 8/9, I checked the list to see the results, and I already
had a clear indication of what activity to expect in my area.

Pierre