[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Orionids Oct 21-22

<< At 0330 local we decided that
 it was time for some fresh coffee so during our short break I played back
some
 of what we had recorded. (my recorder is voice activated, and records in a
 half speed mode if selected) The tape should have lasted thru the night. To
my
 dismay I discovered that it recorded continuously for the first hour... from
 2300 to 2400, and nothing else...Bummer... >>

Welcome to the club! I don't know a serious meteor observer who hasn't had
something like this happen to them at one time or another. Believe it or not,
you learn a lot from such an experience...when you use a tape recorder, you
become paranoid and check what you have recorded very frequently. I seem to do
it every few minutes just so I can have a sense of confidence. You also begin
to learn everything about your recorder just from the touch. One of my first
boo boo's with a recorder was that I had the off and on position backwards. I
was turning it on when I meant to turn it off and off when I meant to turn it
on. The end result was nothing worthwhile.
George Zay