[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) leonids storm

hi every one,

I have recently viewed the imo leonid meteor storm simulation( metsim)and I was very much impressed with the program which was carefully made and accurately simulating a meteor storm.

the program convinced me that I could not count that much of meteors if the rate is over 10 meteors per second.
( which counts to  36000 meteors / hour ).

it seemed to me that the eye and the brain could not count and even follow such high numbers of meteors. so the program left me helpless.

moreover, I tried to test the method suggested by the imo, that is to change to ten meteors count and replace them by one beep instead of counting, but it appeared to me that this method is not practical to me with the presence of high numbers of meteors.

moreover, in the sky, meteors will be distributed all over the sky heading north, south, west, and east, so one may miss some meteors. but in the program, one can see all meteors coming, although he can not count them all.

I encourage every one to try the program if he did not try it earlier.

you can found the program at ftp://www.imodot net/pub/software/metsim/.

Khaled M. Tell
Meteor Observing Committee
Jordanian Astro. Soc. (JAS)