[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: leonids storm

If I ever see rates that high I am just going to lie back and enjoy the
spectacle. Rates this high are seen for only a few hours per century so
don't worry about losing valauble data. Enjoy the show and be happy
that you are in the right place at the right time under clear skies.
Pity those who are also in the right place at the right time yet suffer
with overcast skies or sleep through the display.

I was out on the morning of November 17, 1966 yet it was a few hours
too early. Thinking the sky would be full of meteors I was unimpressed
by the meteor that shot overhead every 10 seconds or so. A few months
later I discovered what I had missed by going back to bed. I was young
and stupid back then and now I am older and not that much wiser :)

Regarding the actual 66 display, regardless whether the rates were
150,000 or less per hour, it was definitely a stupendous display of
astronomical fireworks! That much can be agreed upon.

Bob Lunsford

> talcon wrote:
>
> hi every one,
>
> I have recently viewed the imo leonid meteor storm simulation(
> metsim)and I was very much impressed with the program which was
> carefully made and accurately simulating a meteor storm.
>
> the program convinced me that I could not count that much of meteors
> if the rate is over 10 meteors per second.
> ( which counts to  36000 meteors / hour ).
>
> it seemed to me that the eye and the brain could not count and even
> follow such high numbers of meteors. so the program left me helpless.
>
> moreover, I tried to test the method suggested by the imo, that is to
> change to ten meteors count and replace them by one beep instead of
> counting, but it appeared to me that this method is not practical to
> me with the presence of high numbers of meteors.
>
> moreover, in the sky, meteors will be distributed all over the sky
> heading north, south, west, and east, so one may miss some meteors.
> but in the program, one can see all meteors coming, although he can
> not count them all.
>
> I encourage every one to try the program if he did not try it earlier.
>
> you can found the program at ftp://www.imodot net/pub/software/metsim/.
>
> Khaled M. Tell
> Meteor Observing Committee
> Jordanian Astro. Soc. (JAS)