[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Daylight Leonid Meteor Storm

Message text written by INTERNET:meteorobs@latrade.com

"Gary,
Lunsford has already brought this up a few weeks ago. I posted this
possibility on aol's bulletin board for meteors and sent a message to the
astronomy mailing list as well. So I think there are folks aware of the
possibility? I'm preparing to watch for daylight leonid fireballs on the
17th
between 10 am and noon. Probably will head up to the observatory in the
mountains to get a cleaner view. I also will be having my hand held camera
ready for any possible bright trains. I'm kinda thinking about what
possible
exposures to use right now. Since I will be using daylight exposures, I
will
most likely use a fine grain film....or develop HP-5 for a slower ISO.
George Zay
"

I had wondered about the possibility of using some sort of heat sensitive
film--infra-red?- and filters for detecting daylight meteors. Haven't
gotten any feedback on the idea. Or maybe there would be other meteor
spectra that specialized photography may be sensitive to?

I just watched the space shuttle liftoff and don't know when it will return
to earth. I have always thought that the space shuttle re-entries could be
used for different sorts of fireball experiments. For example, could
daytime re-entries be photo or video captured somehow? It seems that a
re-entry fireball could be used for all sorts of calibrations as it is a
known size, weight, speed, magnitude and such, and many of the re-entries
are daytime.

Tom Ashcraft