[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Strong Meteor Rates

Hi Wes and others,

I do not have exact data at hand for all occasions, but my personal tally
of raw numbers 'above 100/hr' or equivalent (in case of activity lasting
less then one hour, e.g. the alfa Monocerotids) is:

- Perseids 1993 (up to some 250, that is uncorrected rate, I I recall
correct)

- Quadrantids 1995: up to 120/hour, excluding sporadics

- Alfa Monocerotids 1995. This lasted less than one hour ('far comet'
outburst), but
with peak rates near 7/minute this is equivalent to reates over 100/hour.

- Leonids 1996. Well, almost: about 99 in one hour, but with a few
minutes more, it would have been 100.

- Geminids 1996: up to 144/hour, excluding sporadics. When the peak takes
place near your local midnight under good conditions, they put on a
marvelous show! This night also saw my top count over one night: 1257
meteors (that is: all streams plus sporadics included)!

Marco Langbroek
The Netherlands