[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Radiant Diameters

GeoZay@aol.com wrote:

> I don't know how diffuse the Capricornids are, but I find it
> rather amusing that IMO had 10 degrees assigned to the Orionids... when it has
> an actual sharp radiant of 0.84 degrees, and 8 degrees for a supposedly
> diffuse radiant for the capricornids. I can see giving the capricornids a
> slightly wider girth due to zenithal attraction would be greater for it's
> slower meteors than the faster orionids. But apparently this wasn't a
> consideration?

George,

The Orionids are thought to possess "threads" of material which produce
differing rates from slightly different radiants. The "8 degrees" was a
figure used to contain all of these possible radiants (See Neil Bone's
book Meteors page 108 for a diagram). Obviously the figure of 0.84
degrees refers to only one of these radiants.

Bob Lunsford