[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Taurid Fireball activity 1993-1998 ZAYGE

In regards to N. Taurid Fireball activity, I went thru my plotting reports for
the years 1993 thru 1998 to see if there is anything significant to note. The
fireballs listed are N for N. Taurids and S for S. Taurids. In this case I
included -2 meteors in the fireball category. Where I have Total Taurids is
the number of S. and N. Taurids combined of all magnitudes for the period of
activity shown. The following are my tally's:

1993 = Taurid fireballs: -6N, -6N, -7N, -3N;  Teff hours: 40.3; Nites: 6;
Observing Period covers Oct 13 thru Nov 20; Total Taurids: 45

1994 = Taurid Fireballs: -5N, -6N; Teff hours: 62.7; Nites: 10;
Observing Period covers Sept 14 thru Nov 14; Total Taurids: 38

1995 = Taurid Fireballs: -6N, -5N, -3N, -2N, -2N; Teff hours: 100.3; Nites:
16;
Observing Period covers Sept 20 thru Nov 22; total Taurids: 235

1996 = Taurid Fireballs: -3n, -3S; Teff hours: 63.9; Nites: 11;
Observing Period covers Oct 4 thru Nov 18; Total Taurids: 214

1997 = Taurid Fireballs: -8N, -3S, -2N; Teff hours: 43.9; Nites: 8;
Observing Period covers Sept 29 thru Nov 17; Total Taurids: 110

1998 = Taurid Fireballs: -2S, -2S; Teff hours: 29.4; Nites 7;
Observing Period covers Oct 18 thru Nov 11: Total Taurids: 59

During this upcoming week while observing the Leonids, I expect to be adding
more data for the 1998 Taurids. I really don't know what years are being
proposed as being the fireball years for N. Taurids other than 1993 and 1998.
From what I got, 1993 does look like it could be a big year. But 1998 despite
the relatively low hours doesn't seem to be turning that way for me unless
something big happens this coming week? The significant thing to me is that it
does appear that the N. Taurids have more fireball activity in general than
the S. Taurids. But I can't really say that there is a general significant
pattern from these 6 years that obviously stands out to me showing N. Taurid
fireball peaking years. They seem somewhat relatively the same to me with some
expected fluctuations. Another thing that grabs my attention though is how the
Taurid activity in general seems to jump up quite significantly from 1995 to
the present compared to 1993 and 1994.
George Zay