[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Spectacular in the UK

Gosh! I have been (trying) on and off to observe meteors in the UK since
1955 and I  never saw nothing like this ! Quite remarkable. I will spare
you all the details but suffice to say that if any had produced a 'bang'
would have had me running for cover !!
The most remarkable one was not even seen, way out low down in the east
a low range of hills with trees atop, behind that a flash of light like
distant lightning, lit up the whole landscape and the few remaining
clouds.

I had gone out at midnight, total overcast that only Cappela and
Beetlejuice and a few others were showing through. Watched for 20 min
but no fireballs! I had had very poor counts and magnitudes of Leonids
the night before, so when GeoZay reported all his lot I thougt he was
either on a different planet or had a vivid halucination ( ooohoops
sorry George <G> ), so here I was, sorting out my e-mail and bits and
pieces till 02:50UT (local) muttering expletives about the English
weather. Preparing to go to bed,last look outside ( you know the
feeling? ! ) and lo-
5.5LM clouds vanishing over the horizon and what a display!
Well well, y'all out there in the new world, get out your
tin hats and watch, through any crack in the clouds you can find.

Right , than, now that I have warmed up by the fireside a bit, off out
again,,, ----

Best wishes,
Malcolm.