[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Halifax RASC List: Leonids!!!!

From our Halifax Center RASC

 Worst case senerio, I shot 2 rolls of film and both tore as I rewinded
them , I had at least 5 -5 to -8 meteors and 3 smoke trains !!! GONE!!!

Mike

Here is what we saw from 62 Km out of the city...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 06:21:31 +0000
From: d talbot <n1ddxe61@pop1.ns.sympaticodot ca>
To: Multiple recipients of list hfxrasc <hfxrasc@astrotech.stmarysdot ca>
Subject: Halifax RASC List:  Leonids!!!!

Well just got in from a well worthwhile trip to ST Croix to observe
the Leonids, and WHAT A SHOW!!! Present were myself, Mike B., Shawn,
John Connelly, Paul Evans and Joanne Miriam.
Mike and I arrived at 1:50am and observed easily 50 meteors in about
a 40% sky in the north, north east which was clear of cloud. The
skies cooperated occasionally and the leonids flew all over the
place. Here's the numbers I counted. Limiting magnitude was ~
4-5.3mag.

1:50am-2:30am     50
2:30am-3:00am     53
3:00am-3:15am     28  several -2 to -7mag meteors
3:15am-3:30am     38  several bright ones leaving 30-50sec trains
3:30am-3:45am     40  had a burst of 7 meteors in 10 seconds
3:45am-4:00am     41  one at -10mag est. and another at -11mag with
trails lasting over 3 minutes, simply amazing!!
4:00am-4:15am     38  one est. at -13 or brighter left a train
lasting 3 min forming an 'S' shape as it dissovled.

ended recording..noticed that they dropped in numbers after 4:30am
many had bright terminal bursts.

one worth mentioning was as Mike and I were at Bayers Road shopping
Petro Canada getting gas we saw a fireball with a bright terminal
burst and a loud 'POP!' sound was heard very close to the bright
burst.

Was a VERY good night!!!

Darren Talbot