[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids in San Francisco

Hi Meteor Watchers,
The sky was drizzly early Monday evening & partly cloudy late Monday
night.  The prospects looked quite bleak until the skies cleared ~ 2 AM.
Testing the waters, I went out in the back yard & within 30 seconds a -2
fireball flew overhead.  Letting out an audible yelp, I ran upstairs &
awakened my girlfriend.  We then piled in the car & drove ~ 1 mile to
Lands End, right on the Pacific.  This is at the western edge of San
Francisco.   The limiting magnitude was ~ 3.5 judging by the toes of the
Great Bear.  Using averted vision, I was able to glimpse 2 of the Little
Dipper's stars ~ 4.36.  In the space of 1.5 hours, we saw between 20 & 25
meteors.   About 15 or so had magnitudes <-1 with the brightest, a
brilliant green, ~ -8.  This one left a trail that was visible for ~ 1.5
minutes.  We reluctantly drove home to get a couple of hours sleep before
awakening our kids at 6:15 for school.  Not a bad show for the City!

Darryl