[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) storm

At 04:43 PM 11/17/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Has anyone reported/seen the actual storm yet???

Yes...I saw the actual storm....well, snow storm.   8^)
Guess that's what I get for living in Central Oregon.

Seriously, I was able to get in about 90 minutes of observing before the
clouds and a thin layer of snow on me put an end to it.  I was able to see
13 Leonids, however, only two clearly.  When I first went out, it was
clear, with a limiting magnitude of about 4.5 (nearby yard lights mess with
my viewing site of choice).  It was but 10 minutes later the clouds started
moving in and 20 minutes after that when the first snowflake hit me.

Of the 13 I saw, 11 of them were through various layers of clouds, so no
magnitude or color is available.  However, two are worth mentioning.  The
first was the only clear sky fireball I saw.  It began about 25 degrees
about the eastern horizon and headed due west for another 15 to 20 degrees.
 Its final destination was blocked from my view.  Color was light blue and
magnitude -7.  Train was visible for about 4 seconds.  It was the second
Leonids I saw and the last clear one.  Time was around 0115 (battery
operated clock refused to operate in the cold).

The second memorable meteor would have been spectacular had it not be seen
through a thin layer of clouds, snow and a lot of atmosphere.  The 0130 PST
newscast had just ended when it appeared.  So the time was in the area of
0135 PST.  The meteor began about 12 degrees above the eastern horizon,
approximately 78 degrees off north, where it headed down and to the north,
disappearing over the horizon at about 65 degrees off north.  It first
started out as a dim streak of light moving to the horizon, however about
seven degrees above the horizon, it flashed a golden yellow glow.  The
flash was bright enough to cause me to flinch (like a person does when
suddenly exposed to sunlight after being in a dark place for a while).  It
also startled a flock of about 100 Canada Geese feeding on grain in the
field next to me, causing them to create quite a commotion.  After the
flash, a bit more was seen as it disappeared behind the horizon.  My
horizon in that area is blocked by a ridgeline which rises about 4 degrees.
 I live at 2,940 feet altitude and use my fist as a five degree measuring
tools, so the above measurements are only approximates based on that.

However, it was one spectacular fireball.  The rest of the meteors were
only flashes of light traveling through sky highlighting the clouds below
them.

Maybe next year will be better and clearer in Central Oregon.  For anyone
interested, I live at 44 degrees, 20 minutes North and 120 degrees, 30
minutes West.

Lauren Sobkoviak
buckshot@empnet.com