[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor-Photography

It is often assumed that a single station camera can only give angular
velocity, but with a valid assumption (that the linear velocity is almost
comstant until maximum light), the changing angular velocity allows
calculation of the radiant position.  Given this, and some plausible
assumptions about the height, an approximate linear velocity can be
derived.  The position of the radiant also puts an upper limit on the
velocity if you assume the orbit cannot be hyperbolic.  If this technique
isn't well known, I'll publish it someday.  Really the only useful
calculation from a single station photo (with rotating shutter) is the
radiant, I just mentioned the rest because it is possible, not useful.
Cheers, Rob

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au