[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Sprites & Telescopic Meteors

Dave,

Sprites are a possible, but remote possibility. If thunderstorms were
in the general direction of the observation then that may lend more
credence to this possibility.

Don't sprites travel in a straight upwards motion? If so, it would be
interesting to see which direction Ed's objects were moving.

With regard to telescopic meteors, there telescopic observers in the
International Meteor Organization. There have been a few articles on
telescopic activity over the years in the IMO's journal WGN.

AAVSO observers are also urged to record the number of telescopic
meteors they witness while making magnitude estimates. I have never seen
any reports from the AAVSO pertaining to telescopic meteor activity.

Telescopic meteors differ from naked eye meteors only in the fact that
they are dimmer (very profound statement here) and are of a smaller
size.
It has been calculated that your average 7th magnitude meteor has the
diameter of 1 millimeter. This is small, but still larger than the
"perceived" grain of sand.

The telescopic meteors I have seen zip through the field in much less
than a second. Any reports of slower objects (unless your field of view
is huge) would probably indicate the sighting of a faint satellite.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford