[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) AMS Centennial Activity (1898-1998)

		** A Centennial Recognition **

Hello colleagues,

Below please find a listing of all of the annually reported meteor totals
for the American Meteor Society, from 1898 to 1998 -- a full century of
observing meteors.  This listing will also be appearing in the 1998 AMS
Annual Report (under construction now).  I offer my thanks to Jim Bedient
and Mark Davis for  combing through their own personal archives of annual
reports in order to reconstruct this record.  My thanks also go to Thomas
Williams (Rice University) for historical insight into the amateur meteor
community activity "flux."

I find it most interesting that we began this century looking for a Leonid
return, and now we end this century in the same fashion (hopefully with
better luck?).  It is also quite evident how much the USA space program
influenced interest in space travel and astronomy in general -- the AMS is
not the only organization which reached peak membership and activity during
that time.  The AMS has also received a great deal of promotional help from
a large variety of amateur organizations through the years, in addition to
such publications as Sky and Telescope Magazine.  There have also been a
long line of unsung, but active observers and recruiters such as Mike
Morrow (Meteor Group Hawaii), whom I have to thank for my own membership.
We end this century in solid fashion, with 90 or so active observers across
North America and Hawaii, an active amateur staff, a new journal and WWW
domain, and several active research projects.  Here's to another 100 years
of meteor science in North America!

Year(s)	Meteors	Comments

1898-1911	6,114	Leonid watch
1911-1914	2,837	AMS founded
1914-1918	24,560	WWI
1919-1925	8,045
1927	3,143
1928	3,794
1929	10,366
1930	13,560
1931	29,013
1932	58,328	Leonid watch
1933	61,989	Leonid watch
1934	37,628	Leonid watch
1935	16,494
1936	21,675
1937	22,997
1938	9,333
1939	10,742
1940	9,447
1941	6,495	WWII begins
1942	7,246
1943	6,594
1944	15,669
1945	17,087	WWII ends
1946	6,006
1947	11,584
1948	10,207
1949	7,740
1950	13,324
1951	12,839
1952	11,780
1953	12,664
1954	10,581
1955	8,257
1956	22,858
1957	13,653
1958	17,245
1959	6,975
1960	8,522
1961	23,751	NASA Mercury program  - man in space
1962	19,363
1963	34,217	NASA Gemini program
1964	33,974
1965	31,744	Leonid watch
1966	53,284	Leonid watch
1967	37,511	Leonid watch
1968	27,651
1969	52,608	NASA Apollo program - man on moon
1970	29,639
1971	67,274
1972	90,721	Moon landings peak
1973	22,652
1974	38,473
1975	**
1976	20,166
1977	26,713
1978	26,572
1979	11,703
1980	**
1981	12,219
1982	8,045
1983	17,405
1984	5,842
1985	14,662	Comet Halley watch
1986	7,244
1987	11,709
1988	26,878
1989	7,269
1990	8,045
1991	10,270
1992	8,294
1993	17,543
1994	11,671
1995	13,936
1996	14,130
1997	12,973
1998	27,845	Leonid watch

Total:	1,455,273

**  AMS Annual Reports were not located for these years:  1975 and 1980.

Note:  Totals from 1975-1996 are self-reported from the observers for the
Annual Report.  Some received observations may not be counted here.

Take care, all,

     Jim

James Richardson
Tallahassee, Florida
richardson@digitalexp.com

Operations Manager / Radiometeor Project Coordinator
American Meteor Society (AMS)
http://www.amsmeteors.org