[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Forecasting our own observing weather

Mark Davis wrote:

> > I also found Todd Gross's talk (on planning a session considering the
> > Moon, Light Pollution, and Weather) very educational...not that it will
> > help much in my attempts to forecast weather for astronomers. He gave
> >some
> > good tools for astronmers to use to figure out what nights will be clear,
> > and what nights will have good seeing.
>
> Wayne,
>
> Are any of these "tools" available on the web somewhere? Or do you know of
> any other site that has similar information that would be useful to those of
> us brave enough to try to forecast our own observing weather?

Hi to all member of the list

Some Useful Websites for Meteor Observers on weather information that can help
forecasting our own observing weather :

Best North American weather image that are updated every 30 minutes :

North America visible image (for me the very best image during daylight hours
only) :
http://www.ssec.wiscdot edu/data/g8/latest_g8vis.gif
1 km visible image :
http://weather.msfc.nasadot gov/GOES/goes8conus.html

Norht America IR (Infrared) image (enable continuous night and day viewing of
cloud
patterns, infrared imagery is used. It offer excellent live image for weather
especially during night) :
http://www.rap.ucardot edu/weather/satellite/latest_ir.jpg
http://www.ssec.wiscdot edu/data/g8/latest_g8ir.gif

World IR :
http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasadot gov/IR/gvar.html

Jetstream analysis :
http://www.intellicast.com/weather/usa/jet/

USA Radar Image (radar imagery displays areas where precipitation is occurring)
:
http://www.intellicast.com/weather/usa/radar/

Surface observations (very detailed and interesting web site;
you can know the sky conditions for each hour for the last 24 hours
in numerous places in North America) :
http://www-das.uwyodot edu/surface/surface.html
Knowing the weather station ID's can help using the above site:
http://pine.cs.yaledot edu:4201/home/wids.html

Also surface weather depiction (upgrated every hour)
It is an excellent  map giving the sky condition :
http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_depict.html

The national Weather Service
Current Weather Conditions in the United States :
http://tgsv7.nws.noaadot gov/weather/ccus.html
Current Weather Condtitions World-Wide :
http://tgsv7.nws.noaadot gov/weather/ccworld.html

Current Surface temperature (upgrated every hour on a map) over North America :
http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con_temp_na.html
The same map for USA and southern Canada :
http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con_temp.html

Wind Speed :
http://asp1.sbs.ohio-statedot edu/gifs/surface/sfc_ws.gif

Also for the other observers around the world, here are very interesting web
site :
International Realtime Weather Satellite Images (Internet's largest listing of
weather satellite images) :
http://www.fas.harvarddot edu/~dbaron/sat/
http://www-imk.physik.uni-karlsruhedot de/~muehr/satbilder_e.html

and finally the World Meteorological Organsization giving a list of The National
Weather Services of WMO Members with Web & Gopher Server :
http://www.wmo.ch/web-en/metinfo.html

I would like to know from other members of the list, their best sites that can
be helpfull  to forecast our own observing weather.

I hope that the above information can help in forecasting the weather. For
myself those information have given
me valuable information for selecting the best sites in my area and also in
choosing a site for the Leonid 98 observation.
Web Sites that help in forecasting the weather are very important tools for
observers. It can make the difference between
success and failure.

Gaetan Chevalier
Sainte-Foy, Quebec, Canada.