[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) IMO-NEWS Re: Real time sharing?

I have a pager which can receive email information. It's mainly using for
GRB (Gamma Ray Burst) follow-up observation with optical telescope. It
works not very stable because some problem between computer and pager
companies, but it did work last time for the very important GRB990123.

I think that it may not be difficult for those in North America have such
an email-to-pager service. This might be most convenient way I could
think about at this moment. You may have to have a new address other than
this meteorobs one otherwise it will beep all the time during your sleeping
(and watching...).

And it might be good that we have some observation compaign for some
suitable shower later this year (before the Leonids). It might be good
for meteorobs to organize such a thing once per year? Everyone just
observes in his/her own site, but try to communicate the results quickly
via internet.

I think that I locates in some place which is just several hours
later than many of North America sites, so it's quite good for me to
make any follow-up observations for your real-time discoveries. (Japan
is one-hour 'ahead of' mine.) Just send a message to zhu@mail.263dot net.cn
and make a copy to zj@bac.pkudot edu.cn when you see any unusual activity.
I could see on my pager the subject line of your message to the first
address, and could later check the mesage at the second address.

CLear nights, Jin

> There is an ongoing dicussion over the official mailing list of the
> International Meteor Organization ("imo-news"), at to how real-time meteor
> alerts can best be distributed around the world. Thus for example, if a sudden
> outburst of a meteor shower is observed, how can those who witness it best
> notify other potential observers of the ongoing event? Until now, discussion
> focused on the appropriateness of using the IMO-NEWS list itself. Now however
> the topic seems to be branching into areas I thought might be of interest to
> 'meteorobs' readers... (Message forwarded without permission.)
>
> Clear skies!
> Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@jovian.com>

Jin Zhu                           | Tel.: +86-10-62759888, 62756612 (O)
Beijing Astronomical Observatory  |       +86-10-68392030 (H)
Chinese Academy of Sciences       |       +86-314-5054767 (Schmidt dome)
P. R. China                       | Fax : +86-10-62759888 or 64888731