[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteors, UFO's & [lack of] knowledge...

At 01:18 PM 6/17/99 -0400, you wrote:

>>Another good book is: UFO....The Government Files by Peter Brookesmith.
>
>As previously mentioned, UFOs are not on-topic for this list - whether
>they are being touted OR debunked. There are other lists exclusively
>devoted to this sort of banter. Please end this thread. Thanks,
>
>Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@jovian.com>
>

>To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'meteorobs' email list, use the Web form at:
>http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/subscribe.html

Dear Lew:

For the past 52 years I have been deeply involved in astronomy at one level
or another.  If there is one thing I have learned above all else in this
regard it is that ALL OBSERVED PHENOMENA and REPORTS of ANY PHENOMENA from
ANY QUARTER deserve at least a passing, serious attention.  The reasons for
this are simple and self-evident so I shall not belabor them.

I agree with you that this is NOT a forum for the discussion of UFOs
(although EVERYTHING we see in the sky is a UFO until it has been
identified) and I do agree that some (not all) of the UFO chatter has
little or no place on this list.  That having been said, I respectfully
suggest you consider the following:

Good observational and investigatory science is based on three things:

1.  Open eyes

2.  Open ears

3.  Open and receptive mind

The third is the most critical of the three.  To fail to bring this
ingredient to the table is to suffer paradigmatic hardening of the
arteries.  So, to exclude any observational report or source of information
for whatever reason (aside from the blatantly obvious halucinations many
suffer) is to place boundaries on the learning process.

In essence, I am sympathetic to your view, but I wonder where the line
should (or could) be drawn.

Respectfully,

J.