[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: pre-dawn Obs and other things

GeoZAY wrote..
> Kim,
> You seem to be quite active over there on the east coast. Must be some good
> skies lately? Keep up the good work.

  I second that.. Keep up the good work.. Just wanted to let you know there is
someone else who is enjoying  reading thru your reports, Kim... they are very
well done!  We are in a the tradional JUNE GLOOM phase in san diego... skies
near the coast are socked in with marine layer 7days/24hrs day...bummer....

About that SCI AMERICAN article Wayno mentioned
   Off-topic-but-a-most-certainly-directly-related-topic.... Dear
Waynewhoneverstopsreading,  this  is a very nice article written  by same group
who published a more technical article in SCIENCE (V283, Feb 19)  this past
Feb... in that article they present the hardcore chemistry for their
experiement where they UV-irradiated PAHs (similar to whats found in
meteors...I mean METEORITES) and produced biologically interesting compunds..

    now for my 0.02 cents re: the recent discussion about off-topic-discussion
.I think some latitude should be given when discussing visual meteor
observations... we should noe limit ourselves to just the technical and
procedural aspects of visual meteor obs and data reduction.. .Lets ask  BIGGER
questions.. What ARE these meteors we're counting and modeling mathematically?
Are they harbingers of life?  How are they related to comets?  Can data from
our observing give us clues....tell us anything useful regarding the biggest
questions: Who are we? where do we come from?  Can not we ask and discuss these
diretcly related matters in THIS forum?  Cant we discuss the article Wayne
brought up.. IT IS A SLOW TIME NOW, ISNT IT???  its not like August, or
Noveember or December....Seems to me this is the PERFECT time for folks who are
interested in Vis Meteor Obs to talk about direectly-related-but "off-topic"
matters, like  discussing how the public commonly and repeatedly mistake
fireballs for space ships, or how researchers are now studing the chemistry of
meteors and meteorites and finding out some very interesting things.  And what
about comets... With the recent close passing of Hale-Bopp, we have now  new
insights into the chemistry and physics of comets... and those results directly
impact our understanding of meteors, meteorites, and meteoroids... so can't we
discuss such thingsa limited fashion,during these lulls in visual meteortic
activiy?  or  will someone have to setup yet another newsgroup club for "Visual
Meteor Observers Who May Also Be Interested In The Related Yet "OFF-TOPIC"
Matters Of    'Meteors and Astrochemistry',   'Meteors and Comets', and
'Meteors and UFOs' "

That is all.

Respectfully,

Joseph Assmus