[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Tunguska bolide & Beta taurid stream

GeoZay<<
 >There seems to be a lot more asteroidal objects zooming past the earth than
 comets during any given period of time. Most comets essentially have "one
 shot at us", whearas, the many Near earth asteroids being in shorter orbits
 around the sun, have more frequent opportunities to have a collision with
the
 earth. The odds of it being asteroidal would seem greater based on this?

 George K>>George:   Is not there the chance that some of the near Earth
asteroids are in fact short period "dead" comets?

Yes, I think there would be a good chance that a fair number of  near earth
asteroids are short period "dead" comets. But I would also think that there
should be more asteroids in the vicinity of the earth that are from the
asteroid belt than there are short period dead comets. Mainly because of
jupiters location in relation to the asteroid belt where it can influence a
good more asteroids towards earth than comets.
GeoZay