[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Is NAMN and the ALPO Meteor Section needed?

>Can anyone tell me why that either NAMN and the ALPO Meteor section are now
>needed or should exist?

Hi

My observations :)  I've not said much since I initially joined, especially
as I went from part to full time employment in May.

I know nothing of the genesis or ongoing politics of these groups... in
fact I don't even know what the "ALPO" is at all. (American Lunar and
Planetary Organisation????)

I was recently trying to decide which group, if any, to join and get the
added benefit of a journal. I guess I'd join the IMO as I'm an Australian,
though I'm sure I'm welcome in the American organisations.

As to this list... at first I thought it just a list of those interested in
meteor observing and had no affiliation with any group, but as time has
gone by and the constant reference to the NAMN, I began to think it was one
of their "organs". This was also why I thought about joining a group as I
was wondering if I was "freeloading" on the internal list of an
organisation without being a member. This view is further reinforced by the
URL of the NAMN group: http://web.infoavedot net/~meterobs/ and by the link on
that page which says "NAMN mailing list" that points at this list.

Don't get me wrong, no complaints here, I think the list is very good and
it is nice to know that there are so many experts, both paid and unpaid,
that contribute. Though I do have a number of questions that I'm reluctant
to ask. Yes, I know you won't bite me.. well... most won't bite.. ;)

The link to the NASA ADS system was appreciated but as my Uni is short on
Astronomy we have few (if any) Astronomy journals though I'm yet to fully
explore our subscriptions to online Journals. This also is why I was
contemplating the IMO. It's a bit annoying to find only abstracts of
articles online that seem to hit your area of interest right on the head (I
could chase up inter-library loans). As many of the authors are on this
list... I might ask here about them. :)

While I'm actually pleased to see (grumpy old) GeorgeZ back on this list,
this reply is simply an observation from one who has no background in any
of these organisations and is sometimes unsure of how they all fit (or
don't) together.

thanks
Bruce

Follow-Ups: References: