[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: fireball + METEOR

Norman is correct when he states that "the meteor is far faster than any
meteor I have ever seen, and I have recorded nearly 89000 of them". The
fastest angular velocity possible is 38 degrees per second meaning that
a meteor can travel 90 degrees in no less than 2.4 seconds. Rarely does
a meteor travel at this velocity as even the swift Leonids have an
average angular velocity closer to 20 degrees per second. A velocity
approaching the maximum value can only be achieved if the meteor lies 90
degrees from the radiant and close to the zenith. I also agree with him
that it is odd for someone to overestimate the velocity as nearly
everyone tends to underestimate this factor.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford

"nmcleod@peganet.com" wrote:

>  >Tuesday, July 6th at 8:25, ...
>  >seemed to start a few degrees short of zenith and in less than a
>  >second, disappeared just above the horizon.
>
> is far faster than any meteor I have ever seen, and I have recorded nearly
> 89000 of them.  To cover this angular distance would take a minimum of 4
> seconds by my reckoning, and that is Leonid speed.  It would decelerate
> toward the end due to greater true distance.   Usually estimates from
> inexperienced observers are too long, often by factors of 3 to 10.

Follow-Ups: References: