[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Disturbance Keys Meteor

For the second time in two and a half years of sky watching I was
drawn to a meteor by a disturbance in the atmosphere. This time the
delay between something moving in the sky at what became right angles
to the following path of the meteor was very short, only one quarter
to one half second, but this meteor was much smaller.

     I was looking at the area of the zenith when something appeared
to move toward the east just 5 or so degrees south of the zenith, then
a meteor broke into the sky traveling SSW within a second of the
sighting of the disturbance. This meteor traveled a long ways, 25-30
degrees, and left a thin, light blue green trail with a yellow head
with a red rim. Very pretty and delicate looking and not real fast. It
was about 9:31 local time.

     While I suffer light extinction from a city of about 140,000, the
background sky was too dark to detect structure without magnification
of the disturbance right next to the zenith. My other sighting took
place near the horizon and preceeded the meteor by up to two seconds
and was about 20 degrees of a circle that moved at meteoric speed at
right angles to the meteor. This larger meteor may have been a bolide
because it was very bright almost on the horizon if some posts this
last few days are correct.

                             Dave English