From: "Robert J.Marshall" <cash@surfsouth.com>
To: <meteorobs@latrade.com>
Subject: Meteor Impact Over [New Zealand]
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 14:26:34 -0400

Dear Sir;

I have been reading some of your articles on the internet from your group of
observers.  I read one article concerning sonic booms and size of
meteors. The media reported the recent meteor was the size of and automobile
that hit the atmosphere and exploded. There was a sonic boom and debris
cloud left in the sky for some time. It was recorded on video.

Did you get to see this? I would lke to know the comments and observations
of the scientists on this incident. I am not a professional person, observer
or scientist. I was wondering on the problem of atmospheric meteor or comet
skip. If a meteor or comet came close enough just to bounce off of the
Earths atmosphere, how much of our atmosphere could we lose to the skip and
still survive? Comment also on effects like loss of plant life, effects on
human life and recovery period to expect.

I am 52 years old, a stroke victim, retired military and previous civil
service employee of the US Army Corps of Engineers. The internet is my
primary source of news and knowledge.

Thanks very much.

Bob Marshall
Bainbridge, GA 31717