[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) OT---Thoughts on Iridiums

Steve H wrote:
> >In the best case, Space Command could make a strong case for
> >reestablishing the cancelled satellite-killer program(s) and put any such
> >uncontrolled bird out of our misery....

Jim Bedient replied:
> Aaaaahhhhh! That's the worst thing that could be done!  Orbital debris is a
> large and growing problem.  We can track and avoid dead satellites, but a
> bazillion little fragments are almost as deadly, and impossible to track.
> For some good perspective on the problem, check out:

Didn't get time to post last night.  Thanks Jim for beating me to say
this.  What's needed is some kind of refuse-collection tug to round up
or repair the intact, but dysfunctional satellites.  No doubt some of
the materials like solar cells will be useful to recycle.

Malcolm