[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Video Camera Data

I figured that a little more information is due so you can
estimate the bennifits and limitations of the camera Brian Hunter
wrote about for SeeSat. Here is the heart of his message;

       "As some of you know, my standard observing tool is an 80 mm.
f/5 refractor on a simple alt/az mount. I purchased a ccd-based low
light level televison camera and have it mounted on the end of the
elevation axis opposite the telescope. It is mounted on a 135 mm focal
length camera lens (48 mm aperature) and connected to a VCR. The two
'telescopes' are pointed in the same direction so the VCR carries a
complete record of what I am looking at. The camera has a built in
microphone that picks up the clock ticks generated by the computer and
also any comments I make as I observe.

       The camera is a P23C from Supercircuits Inc. in Leander Texas
(www.supercircuits.com), it sells for US$80 plus shipping.

       The remarkable thing about this camera is that it is rated a
0.04 LUX (not a typo), and with a 48 mm aperture, I can see stars down
to 8th magnitude and satellites down to 7th magnitude and occasionally
fainter. The downside is that the ccd chip is only about 10 mm across
the diangonal and the field of view, even with the 135 mm focal
length, is only about 3 degrees. I'm playing with other optics to try
to find a combination that gives me a larger field of view and better
sensitivity.

       There are a couple of other minor problems. The resolution is
not great especially on bright objects, there appears to be blooming
from pixel to pixel and I don't ever get pinpoint or single pixel
images. The chip is not cooled and at high gain, the random background
noise is quite obvious."   Brian Hunter<bkh<@chem.QueensUdot ca>

       I hope that Bob and Ed and others who are interested in using
video to record their observing sessions can work out if this camera
is worth looking into.
                             Dave English