[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 1999 Perseids Info

We are now nearing the annual Summertime Perseid meteor shower frenzy. The
following is some information about the 1999 Perseids distributed in shotgun
fashion. Pass it along if the mood strikes you.  :o)

PERSEIDS - This is the most popular meteor shower of the year due to a
combination of high rates and fair weather this time of year in much of the
Northern Hemisphere. Any meteor seen during the month of August stands a good
chance of being a Perseid. The majority of activity is produced on August
11,12,13. Since 1991, a second peak began with ZHR rates over 100. This new
peak occurs 12 hours prior to the traditional peak. If 1999 shows signs of
the new peak, it is expected around 23 h UT on August 12/13(The evening of
the 12th and into the morning of the 13th) and the traditional peak around 5h
UT during the night of August 12/13. Rates at max may average 50 - 75/hour.
1999's activity will occur 2 days after a New Moon. Although Perseid activity
can be seen by observing in any direction, I personally favor looking in a
Northeast direction on moonless nights. The shower must be expected to peak
near your 4 am local time to see it's best activity. The brighter members(Mag
+2 or brighter) often produce trains lasting 2 seconds or more. The Perseids
are easy to photograph near the date of maximum. I prefer using a wide angle
lens, but with high activity you are bound to capture several with a 50mm as
well. Unfortunately this shower is nearly invisible from the Southern
Hemisphere due to the northerly declination of it's radiant. The Perseids are
associated with Comet P/Swift-Tuttle that visited the inner solar system in
late 1992. Observers that are situated on the night side of earth when we
reach the core of the comet's orbit will witness enhanced activity for the
next several years.....hopefully 1999 is one of them?  1999 Max: Aug 12/13;
ZHR: 90; Vel. 59 km/s (Very Fast); Duration: July 17-Aug 24; Population
Index: 2.6; Radiant Diameter: 1.26 degrees; Train Production: 41%; Radiant:
RA 3h04m, Dec. +58; Three Letter Shower Code: PER

An added note about meteor activity in general. Around July 24th, it is my
usual beginning of noted increased meteor activity for the rest of the year.
This is due to the long period of Perseid activity as well as several other
minor showers kicking in around that time. Also sporadic activity jacks up a
little more than the first half of the year. For the rest of the year, there
will be a variety of minor showers come into activity as others drop
off....along with a well spaced major shower to give the night skies a big
boost.
George Zay