[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Video LM and Rates (was The Leonid Meteor Outburst of 1997)

Malcolm,

> They're also infra-red sensitive, many with IR illumination.  I'd like
> a system where the objective was interchangeable to give wide-angles
> too.

if you get a spare image intensifier you have to care about mounting the
camera and the lens, anyway. So then you can also design a system which
objective lense is interchangeable.

> Digital camcorders are coming down in price, and I may wait until
> they're affordable.  The STANO intensifier tubes might be fine too.
> They have 25mm ones at $225 for so-so quality and $950 for excellent
> quality.  I'll need to find their specifications.  So many sites don't
> provide the specs like spectral response and distortion.  I never saw
> my latest tube running in Oxfordshire to see if the distortion was much
> less than for earlier intensifiers.

Well, we made good experiences with the Stano MCPs. They are of medium
quality but have very reasonable prices. Unfortunately, the most
interesting MCPs were not allowed for export. In addition, Stano has
changed policy and will not support the export of any kind of image
intensifier anymore. So you either have to find a trader or start a
business yourself, if you want to have those intensifiers outside the U.S.
There are several guys around here willing to get Stano intensifiers, but
we still haven't found a way. :-(

BTW, we do have specs for the Stano MCP tubes. Actually, they are not from
Stano but from Hamamatsu. They build identical intensifiers (and advertise
that their tubes fulfill US mil specs :), so you can lookup all the data
and graphs in their ads. Unfortunately, new Hamamatsu intensifiers are
several dozen times the price of those Stano MCPs.

Sirko

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *