[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) MBK Team observations July 12/13

Well, Lew, instead of having a tape recorder or recording manually, each observer had a recorder. In our group observers
are usually more experienced than the recorder (but not necessarily). The recorder is lynig beside the observer and they observe
toghether. When the observer sees a meteor he dictates the data to the recorder who fills out the fields in the observing form.
Usually the recorder sees the meteor too, so he can gain valuable knowledge about determining magnitudes, durations and shower associations. If the recorder is the only one who sees the meteor, we don't record it.
When a meteor appears, I immediately say 'write' and the recorder jots down the time and waits for other data.
It may sound a bit out of date, why use a recorder if you can use a *tape* recorder?? Guilty as charged, but the tape recorder doesn't learn anything while it records the data, while in this way you can train future observers. Also, it's more fun to have someone to talk to when the rates become really slow :)))

Hope this answers your questions Lew. If you are interested in other details, just shoot :)

Clear Skies!

Jure A.