[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Hello all

Sirko has pre-empted most of what I was going to say or ask.

First I welcome another supplier of integrated low-light video systems
which have applications in meteor observation.

15,000x amplification sounds low.  30,000-50,000x amplification sounds
more normal.  Some of us are interested in the faint meteors too, so a
small field is less of a problem, but even so 5 degrees is too small
for mag 8.  An even response across 15 degrees might just do, but it's
tight.

For many meteor folk they would want to see several constellations in
the field to record visual meteors with a wider field is likely to sell
more than the current configuration.  The ability to interchange lenses
for varying field diameters and limiting magnitudes is desirable.

The restricted field of view means many meteors will start and/or
leave the field of view.  What's the distortion like?  With a small
field there are fewer stars to determine the astrometry, and hence
radiant determinations are poorer.  Relatively longer paths reduce
orientation errors too.

What's the diameter of the image intensifier phosphor?

> PS: I'll be off now for the solar eclipse and the Perseids until August
> 24, so I will not be able to continue this thread until then.

Aug.24!  We had the early Perseid thread again this year.  Is Sirko
looking for the latest Perseid?

Malcolm

Follow-Ups: References: