[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Good bye all!

Hi to you all --

    I just want to let all of you know that I will be away beginning on
Sunday, August 8th, through Friday, August 20th.  During that interval I will
be on board the Regal Empress, a 23,000-ton cruise ship, participating in
what the cruise line is billing as its "Whale of an Eclipse Cruise."  Usually
this particular cruise is dedicated to whale-watching as well as taking in
the beautiful sights of the Canadian Maritime Provinces (Halifax, Bonavista,
Cape Breton Island and the Bonne Bay Fjords).

    About a year ago a certain Long Island meteorologist (who will go
nameless here) contacted Regal Cruises and told them that the path of a total
solar eclipse would pass very near to Nova Scotia in mid-August 1999 and that
it might make for a bonus addition to an already interesting cruise
itinerary.  To make a long story short, the cruise line thought it to be a
great idea and . . . well, the rest as they say, is history.

    To be sure, it will be touch-and-go:  we've got less than one minute of
totality and the Sun will be just a scant six degrees above the horizon, but
with the ship's mobility it's certainly worth the attempt.

So . . . wish me luck!  I'll be back on-line by the 21st.
Happy Perseids!
-- joe rao