[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observations Aug7/8

Tonight the sky cleared and I got a little over 6 hours TEFF of observations.
LM ranged from +5.7 to +6.1, not perfect, but good. I couldn't get my mom
or dad to drive me somewhere really dark so I had to observe from my
backyard. Due to skyglow in the south I positioned myself so that the roof
of the house covered it. Due to this the field was 20% obscured, but dark.
I observed 68 meteors - 30 of them were Perseids, 2 SDA's, 1 CAP and 35
sporadics.
The best appeared about 15 minutes before I finished, at 3:59:40 - a brilliant
-4 yellow Perseid fireball that shot through Taurus, missing Aldebaran by mere
3 degrees. It left a 20 second train. It was quite low in the sky, so anyone who
was observing near Maribor really got a nice one, probably -6 or -7 mag.

This is only the 'preliminary report', I will send my data later.

Clear skies and good luck with the eclipse!

Jure A.