[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Radio Observation of Meteors

Thanks guys,

	I hadn't had any luck with meteor scatter on HF, possibly because of
signals and noise from other modes of propagation, and the lack of a
high gain directive antenna.  On 28 MHz I used a vertical (Butternut
HF6V), on 50 MHz I had a close spaced 5 element beam, but on 144 MHz I
used a wide spaced 10 element beam tuned to the bottom of the band - and
it worked great.

	That said, maybe at the next solar minimum, when 10 through 15 metres
are closed most of the day, it would be worthwhile trying.

	On the subject of radio observations, I was wondering if amateurs had
tried radar detection of meteors themselves.  Perhaps using a beacon
with a directional antenna pointing upward, and a receiver with an
upward facing antenna a few kilometres distant but out of the ground
wave of the transmitter?

				Ron (in Gander)

--
R & L Thompson, 9 Medcalf St., Gander, NF, Canada A1V 1R9
Tel (709) 256-1179, Fax (709) 256-8638, e-mail rlthompson@thezonedot net

Amateur Radio Station call VO1AV, FP5EK, VE1KM   Grid Square GN28qw
Location 48 57'08" N  054 36'43" W,
Local time UTC - 2.5 hrs Summer, UTC - 3.5 hrs Winter