[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leoind accounts (meteor yell)

In a message dated 9/1/99 10:50:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
greggpasterick@yahoo.com writes:

<< I've gotten some great quotes from a number of adventurers
 with the Leonids. >>

When making a recording of a meteor watch among a number of people, you can
make fairly accurate magnitude estimates based on the audio reaction on your
tape upon playback.  This is the "ooh method":

Magnitude 4 or fainter:  Hey . . . I think I saw a little one out of
                                  the cormer of my eye.
Magnitude 3:            ooh!
Magnitude 2:            ooh, ooh!
Magnitude 1:            oooooh!  And it left a bit of a trail too!
Magnitude 0:            oooooooooooh! Nice one! All right!!
Magnitude -1 to -3:    WHOA! Look at that!! You can still see the trail!
Magnitude -4 to -6     HOLY S**T!!!  UNBELIEVABLE!!!  BINOCULARS!
                               THAT TRAIN LOOKS LIKE AN AIRPLANE
                               CONTRAIL!!!! I CAN STILL SEE IT.
                               That was absolutely incredible wasn't it?
Magnitude -7 and
brighter:                    AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!  I DON'T BELIEVE IT!
                                DID YOU SEE THAT FLASH?  IT WAS LIKE A
                                STROBE GOING OFF!  WHERE THE #&*%
                                ARE MY BINOCULARS?  LOOK -- YOU CAN
                                STILL SEE THE SMOKE TRAIN!  SOMEBODY
                                GET A PHOTO OF THAT BEFORE IT FADES.
                                GEEZ . . . LOOK AT THE WAY THAT DAMN
                                THING IS DISTORTING. . .  It's going away now,
                                but I still have it in view in the binocs.
                                Woo-wee.
                                Anybody got a cigarette?

-- joe rao