[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Archive of new or suspected radiants

Malcolm and All,

Thanks for reminding us of the "September Perseids", sometimes known as
the Delta Aurigids. This radiant should be the most active one for the
next few weeks. Next week it located on the eastern side of Perseus
south of Alpha Persei. Observers need to be careful when watching the
next two weeks to avoid misclassifying  meteors. Activity from Perseus
and Taurus would be swift while those from Triangulum would be a slower,
in the medium speed category. It should prove an interesting couple of
weeks. I hope the weather cooperates for everyone!

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford

"Malcolm J. Currie" wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Robert Lunsford wrote:
> > Many thanks to Malcolm for answering this. I personally keep track of
> > "suspected" radiants. The AMS has a radiant catalog where members
> > submitted their plots and any possible radiants were assigned a radiant
> > number. Perhaps we should bring this to the forefront and and update it
> > with current observations and have it available on the AMS web site.
> >
> > By the way this reminds me that during watches for the Alpha Triangulids
> > I also have noticed activity coming from Taurus. Perhaps folks should
> > center their field of view between the two radiants in an area where
> > Jupiter and Saturn now reside.
>
> Looks like Lew has the auto-moderator software running on his account.
> (-:  I wonder which word of my new subject is causing offence.
>
> It occurred to me after posting that Gary Kronk probably has lists of
> weak minor showers, in his research for "Meteor Showers: A Descriptive
> Catalog", which failed to make the final cut.
>
> What Bob suggests sounds an interesting and worthwhile project.
> Combining the various sources and modern data should identify some real
> showers.
>
> I'll take a look at my 1988--96 plots to see if there's any faint
> telescopic activity from a Taurid radiant in the first half of
> September.
>
> Viewing in north-east Aries as Bob says helps plotting the September
> Perseids (which also show clearly in the telescopic data).
>
> Malcolm

Follow-Ups: References: