[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Plotting: Three Stooges Method

At 09:36 PM 1999-09-04 -0400, you wrote:
>     So a few questions:  If I hold my 12" ruler to the sky at arms
>length, how many degrees of sky am I covering?

Kim, try cutting one of the Three Stooges out of the action. Instead of
using a ruler, use a piece of white string. Tie and tape it to your pencil
at one end. Then "calibrate" it by putting knots in it at, say, 30 degree
increments as seen at arm's length. Make the string long enough to hold it
at arm's length, then tie the other free end to something like a buttonhole
in your shirt so you can always grope and find it (along with your pencil).

  It is approximately the
>distance from Deneb to Altair.  I know the rule of thumb about fist size
>being 10 degrees

HMMMMmmm... I thought I heard FIVE degrees??? Lew, wasn't it YOU who told
me that last year??

 and open hand being about twenty, but there can be a
>wide variation there among individuals.

You may have a much larger paw than I do, Kim! :o)

>     Also, do I need to join a guild or a lodge to get the secret
>information contained within those plotting charts?

Yes. Clearly, you have a lousy credit rating and also have not paid your
IMO or AMS dues on time since you haven't received your code books yet
(there are three or four of them, each referring to the following version,
the last to be printed next year). And your bounced check for your 1993 AMS
dues is still outstanding. :o)))

>But until I started plotting, I never realized I had so many thumbs.

Learn something new alla time, don't we, Kim? :o))

SteveH

Follow-Ups: References: