[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Question on the Apex thing

James and All,

Instead of struggling through this myself with a weak explanation I will
be sending James a file which contains an Meteor Trails article by AMS
Operations Manager James Richardson on just this phenomena. The file is
in MS Word format and includes graphs. If anyone else would like a copy
of this article write to me directly and state their preferred type of
file; MS Word or text (without graphs). This article also demonstrates
the type of material one may expect to find in Meteor Trails, the
quarterly journal of the American Meteor Society.

Sincerely,

Robert Lunsford
Meteor Trails Editor

James Wray wrote:

> Regarding the Apex meteors:
>
> I just hate being ignorant, but after all these years I should at least be
> starting to get used to it by now...  I can't seem to figure out how the
> apex thing works.  Would Kim or someone please take a moment and explain
> for me the mechanics of this.  I can imagine a sort of statistical trend
> from the direction of the Earth's motion, (eg more meteors in the morning
> than in the evening) but since things aren't just standing still out there
> waiting for us to zoom through them, I can't easily imagine a sharp radiant
> there.  Is this what is being referred to, or have I missed the point
> entirely?  Is this some sort of Earth specific NEO family or a chance
> encounter thing? Since I think I may have seen some of these things myself
> I would greatly appreciate a bit (or a lot) of an education on this subject.
>
> Much Appreciate hearing from those who have seen the light on this.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jim Wray

Follow-Ups: References: