[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) mass of comet 55p

Joe, I don't have ready answers to your questions (others will): but
if you're wondering how long it would take for Tempel-Tuttle to "burn
out" - the answer is a LOOONG time, based on what little we know! I
believe most comets only slough off the top few meters of their icy
sublimates during each perhelion. The best analogy I have heard is
from our own Wayne Hally: he asks folks to imagine one of those huge
ice hills that often appear in northern parking lots toward the end
of Winter, after months of snowplowing have piled up... These hills
hang around, despite their extremely tiny size, relatively speaking,
for many days - even once the weather turns warm. :)

Lew