[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) More questions please.

More questions please.

1.  NAMN Fireball Reporting Form

When filling out "APPARENT PATH:" on the NAMN Fireball Reporting Form:
     -one way is to describe "BEGIN" and "END" in terms of Right Ascension
(hours) and Declination (degrees) which are coordinates from a celestial map.
 Right?
     -another way to describe "BEGIN" and "END" is in terms of AZIMUTH
(degrees, north = 0 or 360, and south= 180), and ELEVATION.  How is ELEVATION
in this circumstance determined?  Is it horizon = zero (0) degrees and zenith
= 90 degrees?

Is there something like an overlay map that will help beginners learn both
these coordinating systems to then be able to transfer from one system to the
other?  I take it you all use only celestial map coordinates, yes?  no?

Neither of these systems are used for reporting meteors, right?  Only radiant
and sporadic designations, right?

 2.  Star/Planet Magnitude

If Jupiter is a visual (to me) magnitude -3 right now, does that mean it
changes and one should not take the listing in the NAMN guide, Chapter 2:
Observing Technique-Visual, page 5, as an absolute on brightness/magnitude?
I found a used book, A Concise Guide in Colour, Constellations, by Josef
Klepesta and Antonin Rukl, 1978, that among other things has magnitudes
listed for major stars in constellations.  Can I go by these listings?  Is
there a similar listing for planets (or do they change during the year)?  Are
the numbers on some of the charts on "NAMN: Limiting Magnitude Charts" (lm)
actually magnitudes that indicate brightness from an observers view?

Mrs. Webb