[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fantastic Fireball -- 7PM Indiana Time -- Nov. 16 th

In a message dated 11/16/99 10:26:44 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
bruce_musson@dofascodot ca writes:

<< from west to east
 (can't be a Leonid ) !
 What direction was your sighting ? >>

I agree that the radio report I heard was inaccurate to tie this to the
beginning of the Leonids.  My sighting was West to East also, and I know Leo
is in the East.  It was so bright that at first we thought it was a small
plane burning up, but it had more of the qualities of a fireball.  Another
post suggested it might have been a satellite reentry and not a meteor.  That
makes sense, because a satellite would burn up in a similar fashion, I would
think.  It clearly broke up in the air also, very visible in the distance.  I
hope we get to know for sure what it was.  Nice to think it was a very
powerful sporadic.

S. Hicks