[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) SolCal Leonid Watch

The activity level is far below the expected rates for 16/17
Nov.'99. I saw four "flashbulb" fireballs like last year but all were
at the perriphery of my vision at the time so with their speed I can't
say exactly the magnitude. I noticed that about 1/4 of the Leonids
were very low to the horizon, below 30 degrees, including two of the
brightest. Saw a double, one +4 white Leonid followed by a much
brighter +2 yellow Leonid within one second time and a few arcminutes
apart (only meteors seen in ten minutes).

     I got out at 02:50 AM local time and ended at 05:35 as the sun
lightened the sky. LM was good for here, about 5. Fought clouds for
the first hour then they cleared out, unusual luck in that.

     Several posts on SeeSat newsgroup about the midwest fireball, NO
claims of satellite decay predictions coming true or missing the
predicted time which would be very unusual as several members there
posts five or more times updating their decay predictions. Also saw a
flashing satellite get "hit" visually by a +4 Taurid or sporatic that
overtook the one second period flasher at 04:48 as it came up from the
SW . The little meteor seemed to end right at the satellite, though
they must be 50 or so miles separating them vertically. Just brough my
binoculars down from watching it when the meteor showed up!

     Overall it was a slow night. Wishing the best for all of you to
my east! It could liven up anytime now.

                                  Dave English
                                  Oceanseide, CA