[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Next major shower

Welcome to the list Cedric!

I have been watching the Geminids for 30 years now so I tend to know
when they are due to occur. Any list of meteor activity will have the
Geminids. They are usually the strongest display of the year with zenith
hourly rates between 75 and 150. The Geminids are known for their many
bright and colorful meteors. This is the only shower that presents good
rates before midnight as the radiant rises in the early evening. As with
any meteor shower if you watch from dark rural areas away from city
lights you will see much more activity. Unlike the Leonids, the Geminids
produce good activity for several days before and after the day of
maximum activity. Be sure to circle December 13/14 on your calendar so
you don't forget to see the an impressive display of celestial
fireworks!

Bob Lunsford
AMS Visual Coordinator