[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Hi to all of you

Hello Philipp

I am a European like you... but live further down in Malta!
Regards your difficulty in finding constellations - this is normal when
starting out - no need to worry!  This is what happened to me when I
started and to everyone of us.

The best way to find your way around the sky is first to locate some bright
and easy constellation, and then find others relative to it.  For example
if you manage to find Jupiter in the night sky, it;s that bright yellow
star visible to the south, then a little bit lower in the sky you should
have no problem of locating Orion.
One thing which I found out when observing is that the constellations are
quite larger than you imagine them from a starmap!
Orion is one big bright constellation which once you find it you will never
forget where it is.
Then you may use Orion's stars to lead you to other constellations, for
example, follow Orions three star belt downwards....and you end up at
Sirius in Canis Major....go upwards and you are in Taurus near the Pleiades.
Take a line from Rigel through Betelgeuse and you end near Gemini .. and so on!

It becomes real fun this way rather than fiddling with right ascensions
declinations and things like that at this stage!

As regards book titles, I like books by Patrick Moore and David Levy
(Skywatching is a very good introduction)
And rather than websites, look in www.softwareseek.com for an astronomy
program which will simulate the sky at whatever time and location you want!

Hope this helps
Alexei Pace

Malta Astronomical Society
www.geocities.com/maltastro