[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids observing

Hi to all,

I am new to this group. I have some experience as an amateur astronomer and
have recently become interested in meteor observation. I had the fortunate
experience of viewing the Persied shower in 1986 from 35,000ft on an
international flight. That was quite an experience!!!! Last fall I saw two
fireballs, maybe not as dramatic as the ones now being reported but still
quite exciting. Recently while observing I have taken more notice to some of
the sporadic activity taking place. As a result of all these things I have
decided to spend some time tracking the annual showers. I will start tonight
looking for the occasional sporadic and perhaps a few Geminids so I can
practice my reporting skills and hopefully by peak time I'll be ready to
go!!!

I have a question about sites for viewing. Typically, I  have a sight for
deep sky viewing that is in a farm field in southeastern Pennsylvania that
is far from Philadelphia's light pollution. I am considering viewing from
Ocean City, NJ. My reasoning is that I will have greater access to the
horizon and sky in the east and southeast, but there will be some light
pollution to the north from Atlantic City....Any comments or suggestions?
Jason Shanley
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals
Rm B1120
1800 Concord Pike