[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) [off-topic] Bummed!

At 10:24 AM 1999-12-13 -0500, you wrote:

>That's right, you radio-types - keep on bating us! When that Solar Maximum
>is raging, and y'all are drowning in ionospheric static,

Uh... Lew... have you forgetten, perhaps... that when the ionosphere gets
THAT bad, that there's highly likely to also be a beautiful, brilliant
AURORA over yourn head ;o)))))))))

>... us poor photon-starved visual meteor folks will have a few words to
say... ;>

Yup, can hear y'all cussing out them glowing, swirling photons right this
minute, in fact; gee, which will be higher, do ya think: aurora, or where
the 2001 Leonids will be burning up?? :o))))))

>BTW, how *are* the Geminids stacking up so far on radio counts this year?

Personally, my impression is not so hot. I've seen a few folks do a couple
of wondrous two-way radio contacts; but overall, so far, what I've heard
from most mere mortal radioactive types is "Not much here so far,".
Hopefully, that'll change real soon now. I see that a few of the visual
folks are seeing a reasonable increase already as of last night.

The REAL problem from my own perspective is that from New England, most of
the folks that I could contact via meteor scatter are out west of me with
not nearly as many down south. And unfortunately, the Geminids are REAL
poor for east-west meteor scatter; at least, for me here in central
Massachusetts. In comparison, the folks out in the upper midwest and plains
states are working others down south in Texas and to their southwest in
California. Still, though, there hasn't been a whole lot and the short
distances covered (800 to 1000 miles, typically) are illustrating the very
slow velocity of the Geminids pretty clearly.

Now, the URSIDS, occurring on 22/23/24 December, look like they will be
about the best east-west shower of the year for radio afficionados; so I'm
looking forward to them, personally.

SteveH
Shrewsbury MA